If you're wondering what to make with strawberries then look no further - we have lots of strawberry and cream recipes to try.
This classic combination can be turned into lots of different desserts - from a refreshing milkshake that comes from Mexico that takes only 5 minutes to make, to a decadent, decorative strawberries and cream cheesecake. Although fresh strawberries and ice cream takes some beating, you may also like trying these creative dessert ideas...
Whether you have a glut of strawberries growing in your garden, or if they just looked too good to leave in the supermarket - get the family involved in making these easy and delicious summer desserts. Kids of all ages love strawberries, so get them involved in washing, hulling and preparing the fruits - as well as finding other jobs in the kitchen that they will enjoy, like mixing, whisking and kneading.
This Indian sweet treat is one of the most simple yet delicious strawberry dessert recipes. Quick and easy to make, this recipe has only a few basic ingredients and is perfect as a summer treat.
- 250 g fresh strawberries - washed, hulled and cut into quarters
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 237 ml full fat cream
- 32 g icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, or 2 drops of vanilla essence
1. Mix the tablespoon of sugar with the chopped strawberries, stirring well before setting aside for 20-30 minutes
2. Whip the cream and icing sugar until they form soft peaks
3. Gently fold in the vanilla extract
4. Add some strawberries at the bottom a glass or bowl, then add a layer of the whipped cream mixture
5. Repeat until the mixture is all gone - and top with a few sliced strawberries for garnish
6. Serve immediately, or chill the dessert for a few hours to achieve a firmer texture
Top tip: Swap the cream for coconut cream for a delicious, rich vegan version of the mahabaleshwar.
Strawberries and Orange Cream
Orange sorbet is a light and refreshing addition to the traditional combination of strawberries and cream. Have a go at making your own, or simply use shop-bought for a scrumptious strawberry dessert.
- 400 g fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and quartered
- 470 ml heavy whipping cream
- 50 g icing sugar
- Juice and zest of 2 oranges
- Juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 1 vanilla pod
- 140 g orange sorbet
- 15 g dark chocolate grated (optional garnish)
- 20 g chopped almonds (optional garnish)
1. Add the icing sugar, and the zest and juice from one orange and one lemon into a bowl with the strawberries - mixing and stirring until the strawberries are fully coated. Cover the mixture and let the strawberries marinade for 30 minutes.
2. Beat the cream with the seeds from the vanilla pod, and the remaining zest and juice from the orange and lemon. Beat the cream until it forms soft peaks.
3. To assemble the dessert, place a scoop of orange sorbet in the bottom of a serving glass, topping with some of the marinated strawberries, and a generous dollop of the orange cream.
4. Grate on some dark chocolate, and garnish with chopped nuts to complete this delicious dessert.
Strawberries and Cream Ice Lollies
If you want to make home-made strawberries & cream ice lollies, follow this tutorial by Jenny Bakes, who uses honey to sweeten her delicious ice lolly recipe
- 330 g strawberries
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 360 ml double cream
- 60 ml condensed milk
Strawberry and Cream Puff Pastry Layers
Caramelised puff pastry shards are a brilliant addition to the classic combination of strawberries and cream. Get the pre-made, ready-to-roll puff pastry for an easy but sophisticated summer dessert for the family.
- 375 g block of pre-made all-butter puff pastry
- 4 tablespoons icing sugar
- 450 g ripe strawberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, or 1 vanilla pod
- 284 ml double crea
- 140 g golden caster sugar
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C (fan), then roll the pastry out to measure around 30 x 30 cm square. Place the pastry on a baking sheet, and lay another on top, so that the pastry is sandwiched between the two baking sheets. Bake for about 20 mins - or until golden brown.
2. Once cooked, turn the grill on high, and generously dust the pastry with icing sugar and caramelise it under the grill - making sure not to burn it. Take the pastry out, and dust it with another generous layer, returning it to the grill to caramelise for a second time.
3. Whilst the pastry is still warm, cut the square into 12 neat rectangles. If you do this step ahead of time, store the pastry rectangles in an airtight container overnight.
4. Dust the chopped strawberries with the remaining icing and set aside to soften.
5. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod into the cream, adding the caster and whipping until it just holds its shape.
6. Assemble the dessert by starting with a blob of cream on the plate - stacking the biscuits, cream and strawberries in a pleasing arrangement, then tuck in.
Fresas con Crema
This delicious Mexican treat uses only a few ingredients, but is an indulgent and moreish treat that can be thrown together in just 5 minutes. The sour cream base balances out the sweetness of the berries and condensed milk, making a refreshing treat on a hot day - or the perfect dessert to have after a spicy, Mexican meal.
- 655 ml sour cream
- 120 ml evaporated milk
- 180 ml condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 450 g fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and cut into bite sized pieces
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
1. Whisk the sour cream, evaporated milk, condensed milk, vanilla and cinnamon until it is totally mixed, and completely smooth. Taste the mixture, and add more condensed milk if you prefer a sweeter mixture.
2. Chill the cream mixture.
3. Spoon the cut strawberries, splitting them between 4 tall glasses.
4. Pour the cream mixture over the berries and serve with a spoon.
Top tip: You can use greek yoghurt instead of sour cream for a lighter alternative.
Still got a sweet tooth? You may also like these ideas for a summer strawberries dessert...
No-Bake Strawberries and Cream Cheesecake
This no-bake strawberries and cream recipe is easy to make, and a delight to tuck into. The cheesecake mixture is flavoured with fresh strawberries that have been blended into a puree, and the no-bake recipe is simple to follow, meaning that the kids can get involved making it.
Make sure to leave enough time when trying this recipe, as the base requires 30 minutes in the fridge to set, and then the whole dessert needs another 4 hours to set. The recipe can be easily done in two parts - simply make the base and setting the cream cheese filling overnight, and take the cheesecake out of the fridge the following day - decorating with strawberries and cream just before serving.
Strawberries and Cream Doughnuts
Stuffed with strawberry jam, and topped with a white chocolate glaze, these strawberries and cream doughnuts are an inventive way to use up your strawberries. The recipe is easy to follow, and makes enough for 18 doughnuts, however, the dough will need time to prove - so why not make the dough the night before, and simply fry and assemble on the day?
Kids who are interested in cooking can help to make the dough - but parents will need to take over when it comes to deep frying the doughnuts. Kids can get involved again, using a piping bag or squeezy bottle to fill the doughnuts with strawberry jam, and dipping them into the white chocolate ganache.